Event: Government of Laos Announces Updated Entry and Exit Regulations
On June 1, the Government of Laos announced new entry and exit regulations to reduce and contain the spread of COVID-19. These regulations complement the measures that the Government of Laos announced on May 29 and that the Embassy described in a June 1 Health and Travel Alert. These regulations will be in effect until June 30. The following is a general summary of the regulations that may be of interest to U.S. Citizens:
- All land border crossings and airports will remain closed;
- Entry into Laos is granted only in very limited circumstances;
- All entrants will be subject to COVID-19 testing and a 14-day self-quarantine requirement at their own expense;
- All U.S. Citizens who wish to depart Laos must inform the Embassy. The Embassy will then formally notify the Government of Laos.
In light of these new procedures, we urge all U.S. Citizens who plan to depart Laos before June 30 to inform the Embassy at their earliest possible convenience so that we may assist them in requesting exit permission from the Government of Laos. Please note that all requests for exit permission must include specific travel plans, including time and point of departure and mode of transportation. Please do not contact the Embassy for assistance until you have specific travel plans.
Private Charter Company Organizing Flight
Envoy Air Services, a Dutch charter company, is arranging a flight from Laos. Interested U.S. Citizens can find more information here. Please note that this flight is arranged by a private business; the Embassy makes no guarantee of quality of service or availability of tickets for U.S. citizens. The Embassy cannot answer questions about the flight or seat availability; please direct such questions to the contact details above. The Embassy also will not make travel arrangements on your behalf.
Actions to Take
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Laos.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.