On May 20, the Government of Lao PDR extended the previously announced lockdown through Friday, June 4. All previously announced restrictions remain in place (see our April 21 MASCOT message).
The new order allows for government officials to impose increased movement restrictions in areas affected by COVID-19 and a relaxation of movement restrictions in areas of lowered concern. In the order the Lao national government has delegated authority to local governments to exactly define these areas.
We urge all U.S. citizens to reconsider non-vital travel within Laos and to follow all COVID-19 regulations. For more details on the updated regulations from the Government of the Lao PDR, please call 166 (Lao language only). Those who have imminent air travel planned from Vientiane’s Wattay Airport and are currently outside of the Vientiane Capital boundaries should travel to Vientiane well in advance of the flight departure date to avoid being caught up in new movement restrictions which may be announced with little warning.
In addition, U.S. citizens who wish to depart Laos must be granted exit permission from the Government of Laos. The Embassy can assist U.S. citizens to secure exit permission, but a specific travel itinerary and a copy of your passport’s biographic page are required. After specific travel plans are made, please email CONSLao@state.gov to request assistance as early as possible to ensure that the exit permission will be granted.
Actions to Take
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Laos.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Vientiane, Laos
+856 (0)21 487 000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
Follow us on Facebook.