On April 12, the Government of Laos announced updated regulations to reduce and contain the spread of COVID-19. These regulations complement measures that the Government of Laos announced on July 29, 2020 and that the Embassy described in an August 5, 2020 travel alert. The updated regulations will be in effect until April 30, 2021. The following is a summary of the regulations that may apply to U.S. Citizens:
- All “entertainment” venues, such as karaoke bars and drinking venues are ordered closed.
- Large gatherings or those in which attendees are unable to maintain at least one meter distance are not permitted.
- Unless necessary, travel during Lao New Year is to be avoided.
- Increased border controls.
- Increased enforcement of previously announced COVID-19 mitigation measures, e.g. the use of hand sanitizers, masks, etc.
In light of these new procedures, we urge all U.S. citizens to reconsider non-vital travel within Laos, avoid large gatherings, and to follow all COVID-19 regulations. For more details on the updated regulations from the Government of Laos, please call 166 (Lao only).
In addition, U.S. citizens who wish to depart Laos must be granted exit permission from the Government of Laos. The Embassy can assist U.S. citizens to secure exit permission, but a specific travel itinerary is required. After specific travel plans are made, please email CONSLao@state.gov to request assistance as early as possible to ensure that the exit permission will be granted.
The situation is still developing, and the Lao government may announce additional measures. The U.S. Embassy will send a follow-on message in the event new regulations are announced.
Actions to Take
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Laos.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Vientiane, Laos
+856 (0)21 487 000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444