Last updated: May 25, 2023
The CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is no longer in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are there COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens? No, on December 27, 2022, the Lao Government announced that travelers entering Laos will no longer be asked about vaccination status, nor be required to take PCR tests.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Laos ?Yes, however supplies may be limited.
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to U.S. Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) requirement that all U.S. bound travelers present a negative COVID-19 test, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.htm
- U.S. citizens can obtain a COVID-19 test in Laos at The National Center for Laboratory and Epidemiology (NCLE) in Vientiane. The following information of U.S. citizens is needed to obtain a COVID-19 test: 1. Copy of Passport, 2. Itinerary, 3. A fee of 650,000 Lao kip (approximately $65). There are some exceptions to the cost of testing for diplomatic travelers. A physical copy of test result will be available to pick up within 3 to 5 hours after collection of the sample (for urgent cases, results can be obtained within one hour)
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Are vaccines available in Laos for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- According to the Lao authorities, the Government of Laos has approved several COVID-19 vaccines for use and has made them available to foreigners who meet eligibility criteria. For details on how and where Laos administers the vaccine, where to receive a COVID-19 test, or questions about receiving treatment for COVID-19, please call the nationwide Laos COVID-19 hotline by dialing 166. Additionally, please visit the following website for more details about how the government of Laos is responding to COVID-19: https://sites.google.com/view/epilao
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- Local Resources:
- The Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs COVID-19 page can be found here.
- Other links:
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page