Last updated: October 5, 2022
The CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are there COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens? Travelers must have a certificate of vaccination to prove that they are fully vaccinated. The CDC vaccine card from the United States is accepted.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Laos?Yes
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to U.S. Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) requirement that all U.S. bound travelers present a negative COVID-19 test, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.htm
- U.S. citizens can obtain a COVID-19 test in Laos at The National Center for Laboratory and Epidemiology (NCLE) in Vientiane. The following information of U.S. citizens is needed to obtain a COVID-19 test: 1. Copy of Passport, 2. Itinerary, 3. A fee of 650,000 Lao kip (approximately $65). There are some exceptions to the cost of testing for diplomatic travelers. A physical copy of test result will be available to pick up within 3 to 5 hours after collection of the sample (for urgent cases, results can be obtained within one hour)
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Are vaccines available in Laos for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- According to the Lao authorities, the Government of Laos has approved several COVID-19 vaccines for use and has made them available to foreigners who meet eligibility criteria. For details on how and where Laos administers the vaccine, where to receive a COVID-19 test, or questions about receiving treatment for COVID-19, please call the nationwide Laos COVID-19 hotline by dialing 166. Additionally, please visit the following website for more details about how the government of Laos is responding to COVID-19: https://sites.google.com/view/epilao
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.
- Local Resources:
- The Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs COVID-19 page can be found here.
- Other links:
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page