Fulbright Student Fellowship Program
Scholarship for a Master’s Degree in the United States
** The deadline for the online application is July 14, 2019
The U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce the opportunity to compete for the 2020-2021 Fulbright Student Fellowship for graduate study in the United States.
Fulbright Scholarships will be awarded for study in a Master’s degree program during the
2020-2021 academic year (July 2020-June 2021). Fulbright grants will be awarded for graduate study at the Master’s degree level in all fields of study except medicine. (Note: However, applications will be accepted in the field of public health.) Individuals from both the public and the private sectors may apply. Women, minorities, and candidates from outside the capital city of Vientiane are encouraged to apply.
The Fulbright Program was established by the U.S. Congress in 1946 to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills, and the program is now recognized as one of the world’s most prestigious and well-known international scholarship programs.
In order to be eligible to apply for the Fulbright Program, applicants must:
• Be a Lao citizen;
• Be age 40 or under;
• Hold a bachelor’s degree with at least four years of full-time study, a superior academic record, and qualify for admission to a U.S. program of graduate study;
• Be proficient in English. Proficiency in the English language is measured by a minimum TOEFL iBT score of 88 or 7.0 IELTS. Those who do not yet have an English test score will be invited to take an English screening test at the American Center@Thatdam. (tentatively to be held on July 20, 2019).
Individuals in the following circumstances are not eligible for the Fulbright Program:
• U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States;
• Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of Laos;
• Lao citizens who are employed by and work for the U.S. Government in Laos. These U.S. government employees are also ineligible to apply for one year following the termination of employment;
• Immediate family members (i.e. spouses and dependent children) of U.S. Government employees in Laos. These family members are also ineligible to apply for one year following the termination of employment.
The deadline for online application is July 14, 2019.
All supporting documents must be submitted to the online application directly. To access the application, please visit the online portal at https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2020
Supporting Materials: Applicants must submit official transcripts of academic performance for all years of study. If the applicants have attended more than one university during their undergraduate degree, transcripts from all universities attended must be submitted along with the application.
For further questions regarding this announcement please contact:
Fulbright and Humphrey Office
Public Diplomacy Section
U.S. Embassy Vientiane
Thadeua Road, Km 9, Ban Somvang Tai
In addition, the U.S. Embassy will offer open office hours every Friday at the American Center at That Dam in Vientiane. Applicants wishing to consult with our staff or ask questions about the application should feel free to visit the American Center on Fridays from 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 pm until Friday, July 12, 2019.