May 22, 2020: Deadline for submit online application
The Public Diplomacy Section of the U.S. Embassy, Vientiane, Laos, is pleased to announce an opportunity for applications for the 2020 2021 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program. This program provides Lao secondary school teachers with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States.
The Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program will bring approximately 160 international secondary-level teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language, math, science, and social studies, including special education teachers in those subjects, to the United States for a six-week program to take academic seminars for professional development at a host university and to observe and share their expertise with teachers and students at the host university and at local secondary schools. The international participants will travel to the United States for one of two six-week professional development programs in either spring of 2021 or fall of 2021.
The program provides general academic seminars focusing on new teaching methodologies, student-centered learning, content-based instruction, lesson planning, and instructional technology training for teachers. Intensive English language instruction will be offered to teachers who need additional practice. The program will also include a practicum of at least 40 hours with a U.S. partner teacher in a secondary school near the host university to actively engage participants in the U.S. classroom environment. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided to participants throughout the program.
After returning home, teachers who successfully complete the program will be eligible to compete for small grant awards for essential teaching materials, follow-on training for other teachers, collaborative projects between participating American schools and their home schools, and other activities that build on the exchange experience.
Teaching disciplines for the TEA Program are:
- English or English as a Foreign Language (EFL)
- Social Studies (social studies, civics, history, geography, etc.)
- Special Education teachers in the disciplines listed above.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Be current secondary school-level, full-time teachers in a school that serves a primarily local (not expatriate) population;
- Have five or more years of classroom experience in Fulbright TEA teaching disciplines: English, EFL, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, or Special Education;
- Be citizens of and residents in Laos;
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Obtain a minimum score of 450 on paper based TOEFL or equivalent English language examination* (optional);
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the program;
- Submit a complete application.
* A limited number of participants with TOEFL scores between 425 and 450, or equivalent, will be accepted for the program into a special cohort with additional English language training included in the professional development program.
TEA is a program for practicing teachers Laos. Ministry of Education officials, full-time principals or educational administrators, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible.
Individuals in the following circumstances are not eligible for the Fulbright Program:
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States;
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of Laos;
- Local employees who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). These U.S. government employees are also ineligible to apply for one year following the termination of employment;
- Immediate family members (i.e. spouses and dependent children) of U.S. Department of State and USAID employees. These family members are also ineligible to apply for one year following the termination of employment.
- April 19, 2020: Deadline for submit online application
- Early May 2020: Interviews for shortlisted candidates
- May, 2020: TOEFL iBT test in Vientiane
- June 1, 2020: Embassy submits nominees to IREX
- July – August 2020: ECA and IREX review and confirm nominees
- Late September 2020: Finalists confirm acceptance of award, sign and submit all necessary documents.
For Cohort I:
December 2020: Visa interviews and attend Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
Late January – March 2021: Program in the U.S. for Cohort I
For Cohort II:
July-Aug. 2021: Visa interviews and attend Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
September – late October 2021: Program in the U.S. for Cohort II
How to Apply
Please read Program Announcement, Guidelines for Application Submission and Online Application Guide for Applicants as attached below, before starting your online application.
Important: applicants are required to complete the following:
- Submit online application in the system. Deadline: April 19, 2020.
- Online application guide, click here to download (PDF)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview. Please send your questions to email: USGscholarshipsLaos@state.gov. or Tel: 021 48 7055 regarding the application and selection process.