April 12, 2019: Deadline to submit online application
The Public Diplomacy Section of U.S. Embassy Vientiane in Laos is pleased to announce an opportunity to apply for the 2019 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program. This program provides Lao secondary school teachers with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States.
The Fulbright TEA is a customized, six-week non-degree, non-credit academic program including seminars focusing on new teaching methodologies, content-based instruction, project-based learning, infusing thematic topics into curriculum, lesson planning, and instructional technology training for teachers. Intensive English language instruction will be offered to teachers who need additional practice. The program will include a practicum of at least 40 hours with a U.S. partner teacher in a U.S. secondary school near the host university to actively engage participants in the U.S. classroom environment. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided to participants throughout the program.
Teaching disciplines for the TEA Program are:
- English or English as a Foreign Language (EFL)
- Social Studies (social studies, civics, history, geography, etc.)
- Special Education teachers in the disciplines listed above.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
TEA is a program for practicing teachers in Laos. Applicants must:
- Be current secondary school-level, full-time teachers in a school that serves a primarily local (not expatriate) population;
- Have five or more years of classroom experience in Fulbright TEA teaching disciplines: English, EFL, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, or Special Education;
- Be citizens of and residents in Laos;
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Obtain a minimum score of 450 on paper based TOEFL or equivalent English language examination* (optional);
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the program;
- Submit a complete application.
* A limited number of participants with TOEFL scores between 425 and 450, or equivalent, will be accepted for the program into a special cohort with additional English language training included in the professional development program.
The following professionals are NOT eligible to apply:
- Ministry of Education officials,
- Full-time principals or educational administrators, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates.
- Employees of U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Agency for International Development, and their immediate family members (spouses and dependent children) during and for a period ending one year following the termination of such employment, association, or service. This provision includes all employees, paid or unpaid (including part-time or temporary employees, consultants, externs, fellows and contract employees). ** This provision does not apply to interns. This provision does not apply to self-supporting children who live apart from their parents.
- April 12, 2019: Deadline to submit online application
- Week 4 of April: 2019: English Screening Test
- Early May 2019: Interviews for shortlisted candidates
- May 2019: TOEFL iBT test in Vientiane
- June 1, 2019: Embassy submits nominees to the International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX)
- July-August 2019: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and IREX review and confirm nominees
- Late September 2019: Finalists confirm acceptance of award, sign and submit all necessary documents.
For Cohort I:
December 2019: Visa interviews and attend Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
Late January – March 2020: Program in the U.S. for Cohort I
For Cohort II:
July-Aug. 2020: Visa interviews and attend Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO)
September – late October 2020: Program in the U.S. for Cohort II
How to Apply
Please read Program Announcement, Guidelines for Application Submission and Online Application Guide for Applicants as attached below, before starting your online application.
Important: applicants are required to complete the following:
- Submit online application in the system. Deadline: April 12, 2019.
- Online application guide, click here to download (PDF)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview. Please send your questions regarding the application and selection process via email: USGscholarshipsLaos@state.gov or call +856 21 48 7055.