April 04, 2021: Deadline for submit online application
The Public Diplomacy Section of the U.S. Embassy, Vientiane, Laos, is pleased to announce an opportunity for applications for the 2021 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program. This program provides Lao secondary school teachers with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States.
The Fulbright TEA is a six-week non-degree, non-credit customized academic program including seminars focusing on new teaching methodologies, content-based instruction, project-based learning, infusing thematic topics into curriculum, lesson planning, and instructional technology training for teachers. Intensive English language instruction will be offered to teachers who need additional practice. The program will include a practicum of at least 40 hours with a U.S. partner teacher in a U.S. secondary school near the host university to actively engage participants in the U.S. classroom environment. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided to participants throughout the program.
Teaching disciplines for the TEA Program are:
- English or English as a Foreign Language (EFL)
- Social Studies (social studies, civics, history, geography, etc.)
- Special Education teachers in the disciplines listed above.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Be current secondary school-level, full-time teachers in a school that serves a primarily local (not expatriate) population;
- Have five or more years of classroom experience in Fulbright TEA teaching disciplines: English, EFL, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, or Special Education;
- Be citizens of and residents in Laos;
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Obtain a minimum score of 450 on paper based TOEFL or equivalent English language examination; *Please note that candidates do not need to take the test before applying. If selected after an interview, candidates will be required to take TOEFL iBT test, with support from the U.S. Embassy. A limited number of participants with TOEFL scores between 425 and 450, or equivalent, will be accepted for the program into a special cohort with additional English language training included in the professional development program;
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the program;
- Submit a complete application.
* A limited number of participants with TOEFL scores between 425 and 450, or equivalent, will be accepted for the program into a special cohort with additional English language training included in the professional development program.
TEA is a program for practicing teachers Laos. Ministry of Education officials, full-time principals or educational administrators, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible.
- April 04, 2021: Deadline of Online Application
- Late April, 2021: Interviews for shortlisted candidates/TOEFL iBT test in Vientiane
- May 21, 2021: Embassy submits nominees to IREX
- Mid-August 2021: Finalists confirm acceptance of award, sign and submit all necessary documents.
Tentative Program Dates in the U.S.
- Cohort I: Late January – Mid-March 2022 (Spring)
- Cohort II: September – Late-October 2022 (Fall)
How to Apply
Please read Program Announcement, Guidelines for Application Submission and Online Application Guide for Applicants as attached below, before starting your online application.
Important: applicants are required to complete the following:
- Submit online application in the system. Deadline: April 04, 2021.
- Online application guide, click here to download (PDF)
- 2021-2022 Fulbright TEA Application, click https://fulbright.irex.org/Account/Login
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview. Please send your questions to email: USGscholarshipsLaos@state.gov. or Tel: 021 48 7055 regarding the application and selection process.