2019 South East Asia Youth Leadership Program (SEAYLP)
Application Deadline: December 14, 2018
The Public Diplomacy Section of the U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce an open competition for the 2019 South East Asia Youth Leadership Program (SEAYLP) sponsored by the U.S. Embassy and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State.
The 2019 SEAYLP convenes high school students and adult mentors from the ten ASEAN member countries for a three-week U.S.-based exchange program, focused on leadership and youth development and to explore shared challenges faced by the United States and ASEAN member countries. These challenges are explored through the three pillars of the ASEAN community: diplomatic and security cooperation, economic skills-building (through the exchange’s project development), and socio-cultural leadership (through hands-on activities, workshops, seminars, and site visits to foster greater communication). Participants will develop projects to address the needs of their communities upon their return home.
All costs for this exchange program are covered by the U.S. Department of State.
Students who may apply are those who:
- Will be at least 15 years old and not more than 17 years old on April 1, 2019;
- Demonstrate strong leadership potential in their school and/or community;
- Have strong English language skills; and strong academic and social skills;
- Have a commitment to or interest in civic action and interested in community service; and
- Have permission from parent(s)/guardian(s) and schools to participate in the entire program.
The application for secondary school students is available here.
Adult mentors who may apply are those who:
- Teach at a secondary school or work with youth in a professional or volunteer capacity;
- Are well respected in the community;
- Are willing to serve as mentors for the youth on this program
- Have strong English language skills; and
- Are committed to continue working with SEAYLP participants after their return from the United States.
- Have travel experience outside their home state or province, such as to the national capital; international travel experience is not required
The application for adult applicants is available here.
Applications must be in PDF File only and must be submitted on December 14, 2018 by email: USGscholarshipsLaos@state.gov.
Questions regarding the application and selection process should be addressed to email: USGscholarshipsLaos@state.gov. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview.