2023 South East Asia Youth Leadership Program (SEAYLP)
Application Deadline: 5PM, November 16, 2022 (Laos Time)
The Public Diplomacy Section of the U.S. Embassy is pleased to announce an open competition for the 2023 South East Asia Youth Leadership Program (SEAYLP) sponsored by the U.S. Embassy and the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State.
The 2023 SEAYLP will convene high school students and adult mentors from the ten ASEAN member countries for a three-week U.S.-based exchange program focused on leadership and youth development. Participants will explore shared challenges faced by the United States and ASEAN member countries through the three pillars of the ASEAN community: political and security cooperation, economic skills-building (through the exchange’s project development), and socio-cultural leadership (through hands-on activities, workshops, seminars, and site visits to foster greater communication). During the exchange, participants also will collaborate to develop projects that address the needs of their communities upon their return home.
All costs for this exchange program are covered by the U.S. Department of State.
Students who may apply are those who:
- Will be at least 15 years old and not more than 17 years old on April 1, 2023; (Be born from April 1, 2006 – April 1, 2008);
- Be a Lao citizen currently residing and studying in Laos;
- Demonstrate strong leadership potential in their school and/or community;
- Have strong English language skills; and strong academic and social skills;
- Have a commitment to or interest in civic action and interest in community service;
- Have permission from parent(s)/guardian(s) and schools to participate in the entire program.
Adult mentors who may apply are those who:
- Demonstrate a commitment to working with young people;
- Be a Lao citizen currently residing and working in Laos;
- Are well respected in the community;
- Have an interest in professional development
- Are willing to serve as mentors for the youth on this program
- Have strong English language skills; and
- Are committed to continue working with SEAYLP participants after their return from the United States.
- Have travel experience outside their home state or province, such as to the national capital; international travel experience is not required
Individuals in the following circumstances are not eligible for the SEAYLP Program:
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States;
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of Laos;
- Local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment;
- Immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) of U.S. Department of State and USAID employees; family members are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment;
- Current World Learning employees and their immediate family members.
For High School Student Application:
- Download the application form for high school students Here
- Download the reference letter form for high school students Here (Ask your referee to complete the letter and follow the given instruction on the letter)
- Upload your completed application, your official transcripts from the latest semester at: Complete Your Application
For Teacher/Community Leader Application:
- Download the application form for adult mentors Here
- Download the reference letter form for adult mentors Here (Ask your referee to complete the letter and follow the given instruction on the letter)
- Upload your completed application, your official transcripts of your highest educational degree that you hold at: Complete Your Application
Questions regarding the application process should be addressed to email: Lao_EducationUSA@state.gov Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview.
- November 16, 2022: Deadline for both High School Students & Teacher/Community Leader Applications
- December 5 – 9, 2022: Interview for SEAYLP 2023 Candidates (TBA)
- December 12 – 16, 2022: Announcing the SEAYLP 2023 Candidates (TBA)