- YSEALI Academic Fellows (Fall 2022)
- YSEALI Professional Fellows
The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program 2022
What is it?
The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program is a professional development exchange program for the best and brightest community leaders from one of the 11 YSEALI member nations (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste and Vietnam), working in the fields of civic engagement, NGO management, economic empowerment, governance, legislative process, environmental and natural resources management. The YSEALI Professional Fellows Program provides participants with 6 weeks long fellowship at a U.S.-based non-profit organization, government office or legislative body. Fellows will work with community leaders to enhance their practical expertise, leadership skills and professional contacts to address issues in their home communities.
The program concludes in Washington to allow for engagement with policymakers and networking among YSEALI Professional Fellows from across ASEAN and Timor Leste. A select group of Americans who worked with the YSEALI Professional Fellows will then travel overseas to further strengthen relationships, continue to collaborate on issue-based projects, and mentor other YSEALI members.
The program for Southeast Asia is designed to promote mutual understanding, enhance leadership and professional skills, and build sustainable partnerships between emerging leaders from foreign countries and the U.S.
The Spring 2022 YSEALI Professional Fellows Program (YSEALI PFP) is a two-way exchange program designed to promote mutual understanding, enhance leadership and professional skills, and build lasting and sustainable partnerships between emerging leaders in Southeast Asia and the United States. YSEALI Professional Fellows participate in a hybrid program, including virtual activities and a tentative in-person U.S.-based exchange.
Who is eligible to apply?
Young professionals from YSEALI countries who are leading change and innovation in civil society, the public sector, or the private sector. You must be a YSEALI member to apply for the Professional Fellows Program. Please join now at https://asean.usmission.gov/yseali to get regular updates on upcoming Professional Fellows Programs and other opportunities.
How do I apply?
- Civic Engagement: An exchange designed for emerging civil society/NGO leaders who focus on underrepresented populations. The application is open now, click here to apply. (Deadline: November 15, 2021)
- Economic Empowerment: An exchange designed for emerging entrepreneurs and community leaders who focus on economic development. The application is open now, click here to apply. (Deadline: November 15, 2021)
- Sustainable Development and the Environment: An exchange designed for emerging urban and green space planners, planning and sustainability directors, natural resource managers, and other private and public sector leaders who focus on sustainable development and environmental issues. click here to apply (Deadline: November 15, 2021)
- Governance and Society: An exchange designed for emerging policymakers, political leaders, public administrators, journalists and NGO leaders who focus on legislative/governance processes and practices. The application is open now, click here to apply. (Deadline: November 15, 2021)
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Be a citizen of, and currently residing in, one of the YSEALI member nations;
- Mid-level professionals, ages 25-35, currently employed and with at least two years of professional experience at the time of application;
- Have a track record of making an impact in their community, institution or company;
- Be proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application;
- Highly interested in developing an individual project in home workplace or community;
- Be self-directed and able to work effectively in a cross cultural setting; and
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa.
What are the selection criteria?
- Demonstrate a strong track record of leadership or positive impact in their community or workplace;
- Demonstrate knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI themes: Civic Engagement, Sustainable Development and the Environment, Governance and Society or Economic Empowerment;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest to community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States and ASEAN as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in a professional work environment to develop professional capacities and leadership skills;
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the ASEAN region;
For further information, please visit https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/yseali-professional-fellows-program