Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 80,000 reported cases worldwide.
The government of Laos has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. At present, these restrictions apply to travelers entering Laos from countries with confirmed cases of COVID-19, but travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to change with little or no advance notice. According to the enhanced measures:
- Travelers coming from a country with confirmed cases of COVID-19 who do not have fever or other symptoms related to COVID-19 will be asked to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms for 14 days. In some cases, travelers may also be asked to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Travelers coming from a country with confirmed cases of COVID-19 who have fever and/or other symptoms of COVID-19 will be sent to a hospital for monitoring and COVID-19 testing.
The government of Laos has encouraged organizers of large public gatherings to consider cancelling or postponing them, or otherwise limiting participation. Several sport competitions and public events have accordingly been cancelled throughout Laos.
This remains a fluid situation. Please check for updates.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Laos.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Seek medical care right away if you believe you may have COVID-19 (or similar symptoms) or were exposed to someone who may have COVID-19 in the last six weeks.
- U.S. Embassy/Consulate Vientiane, Laos
+856 (0)21 487 000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Laos Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook.