March 22, 2020
Event: On March 22, the Royal Thai Government (RTG) announced that all border checkpoints and crossings between Thailand and Laos, including Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge 1 at Nongkhai-Vientiane, will close effective 11:59 p.m. on March 22 until further notice. Vehicles transporting goods with customs permits are still permitted to cross at some border checkpoints, including Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge 1, with one driver.
Vehicles crossing at Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge 1 will also be allowed one additional person. Thai authorities will require the driver and the additional person to undergo health screening at the border. Medical emergency travel from Laos to Thailand via the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge 1 may be arranged only on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the RTG. U.S. Citizens in Vientiane therefore should not rely on the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge 1 as an option in the event of a medical emergency.
Travelers should be prepared for further travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Laos.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.