Event: There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Laos.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
On March 19, the Government of Laos announced a series of immigration restrictions that may affect U.S. Citizen travelers. These restrictions are scheduled to be in place for thirty days starting March 20. The restrictions:
- Suspend the issuance of visas on arrival for all nationals;
- Suspend the issuance of tourist visas at Lao Diplomatic Missions overseas;
- Suspend the issuance of eVisas;
- Suspend visa exemption programs for nationals of ASEAN countries and nationals of countries with signed visa exemption agreements, both unilateral and bilateral, with the Lao PDR; and
Restricted visa issuances to only those visitors who intended to visit the Lao PDR for non-tourist purposes.
Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Laos.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- S. Embassy Vientiane, Laos
+856 (0)21 487 000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Laos Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook.