Location: Laos and China
On March 24, The Lao Ministry of Health confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Laos.
On March 26, the People’s Republic of China (PRC) announced that as of 11:59 p.m. on March 27, it would temporarily suspend visa-free transit policies for foreign nationals, including U.S. Citizens. Entry into the PRC by foreign nationals holding valid visas or residence permits will also be suspended. Visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PRC for additional information on these new measures.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
The U.S. Embassy cannot arrange travel for individual U.S. Citizens. Nor can we influence other governments to alter or abrogate their immigration laws to facilitate travel by U.S. Citizens. However, we are in constant contact with the State Department on repatriation needs in Laos.
The Embassy is actively exploring options to assist U.S. Citizens in pursuit of repatriation to the United States. If you would like assistance with repatriation, please fill out this survey.
Travelers should be prepared for further travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Effective March 26, 2020, U.S. Embassy Vientiane has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please contact us at email@example.com.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information. \
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Laos.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.