Event: Stay-at-Home Decree and CDC Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice
On March 24, The Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Laos.
On March 29, The Lao Prime Minister issued a decree instructing all people in Laos, both Lao and foreign, to stay indoors between March 30 and April 19, except for local trips to purchase food, for medical care, or to work. Lao government staff are ordered to work from home. Some businesses, including hospitals, hotels, banks, grocery stores, and pharmacies, will remain open. Travel within Laos from provinces with confirmed cases of COVID-19 is prohibited. Public gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited, except for funerals. All public transportation will be stopped. International border crossings, traditional or official, will be closed for entrance or exit, with the exception of foreigners who want to return to their own country. The decree designates the responsibility for enforcing these measures to police and military personnel.
The Embassy is asking the Government of Laos for further details about this decree in order to understand the degree to which it may affect U.S. Citizens in Laos. The Embassy will share any additional details in forthcoming alerts.
CDC Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice
On March 27, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a Level 3 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice recommending that travelers avoid all nonessential international travelers. Please visit the CDC website for additional information.
The Embassy is actively exploring options to assist U.S. Citizens in pursuit of repatriation to the United States. If you would like assistance with repatriation, please fill out this survey.
Travelers should be prepared for further travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements when flights are available.
Routine Consular Services Suspended
Effective March 26, 2020, U.S. Embassy Vientiane has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please contact us at email@example.com. If you are a U.S. citizen seeking to depart Laos, please fill out this survey.
Actions to Take:
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
· Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions. Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Laos.
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
· Follow us on Facebook.