August 31, 2021
Event: Increased COVID-19 Restrictions in Vientiane, Laos
Effective August 31, 2021, under the authority of the previously announced lockdown, the Mayor of Vientiane Capital ordered increased COVID-19 restrictions and imposed a curfew in the nation’s capital.
The curfew prohibits all road traffic in Vientiane Capital from 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM, except for freight transportation vehicles, emergency vehicles, and vehicles authorized by the COVID-19 Taskforce.
Entry into neighborhoods with community transmission (red zones) remains prohibited without special permission from the Taskforce. Police might set up checkpoints to enforce the order. Anyone who resides in a red zone is prohibited from entering Vientiane Capital. Movement and access to supplies may be temporarily limited in red zones.
Schools and educational institutions at every level must close across Vientiane Capital, including for entrance examinations.
Restaurants may remain open for dine-in service but must follow social distancing guidelines and close by 9:00 PM.
Indoor and outdoor sports centers such as fitness centers, gyms, sports fields, swimming pools, and other sports venues must close.
Karaoke bars, entertainment venues, tourism sites, night markets, food gardens, pubs, cinemas, snooker halls, massage parlors, spas, beauty parlors, and internet cafes must close.
Meetings or conferences of more than 20 participants are prohibited, and COVID-19 prevention measures including face masks and social distancing must be enforced.
Parties and gatherings of any kind continue to be prohibited, except for funerals and certain religious activities such as alms offerings. Such exempted events must adhere to all previously announced COVID-19 prevention measures including conducting temperature checks, maintaining social distancing of at least one meter, wearing masks, and using hand sanitizer. Those who violate this order will be fined, be required to pay additional costs incurred due to the violation and be placed in a state quarantine center or quarantine hotel.
Actions to Take:
- All U.S. citizens should enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and ensure you can be located during an emergency.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Laos.
- Refer to our website for the latest Alerts and Messages for U.S. citizens.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information related to COVID-19.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Vientiane, Laos
+856 (0)21 487 000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Laos Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook.