Emergency Contacts – All Locations

To be used for emergencies occurring after normal business hours only. From the United States dial 011-856-21-48-7600
From Laos dial 021-48-7600

Routine services such as lost or stolen passports, passport renewals, reports of birth aboard and notarial services are not considered emergencies and are processed during normal business hours.

To report an emergency involving an American Citizen during normal business hours: From the United States dial 011-856-21-487-000. From Laos dial 021-487-000.

Note: The time difference between Washington DC and Laos is + 11 hours.

Victims of Crime

If an American is a victim of crime in Laos, he or she should contact the police in his or her local area to report the incident and request a police report. Victims of crime will generally report the crime to local police, who will create an incident report, which is then taken to the tourist police, who will create an English language incident report and report the loss of any items stolen. The tourist police can be reached in Vientiane by calling 021-251-128.

In such situations, Americans may also need to seek medical attention. The Embassy generally advises American citizens to seek medical attention in Thailand, as medical care in Laos does not meet western standards.

While the consular section will do all it can to assist victims of crime, Americans who are victims of crime in Laos are not required to contact the Embassy. For more information, please visit the State Department’s website.

Arrest and Detention

Americans traveling or living in Laos are subject to the laws of the People’s Democratic Republic of Laos. If an American citizen is detained or arrested by Lao authorities, the Embassy does all it can to assist. If you are detained or arrested, you should ask the authorities to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. Consular officers cannot get you out of jail (when you are in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws). However, they can work to protect your legitimate interests and ensure that you are not discriminated against. They can provide you with a list of local attorneys, visit you, inform you generally about local laws, and contact your family and friends. Consular officers can transfer money, food, and clothing to the prison authorities from your family and friends.  They can try to obtain relief if you are held under inhumane or unhealthy conditions. For more information, please visit the State Department’s website.