The loss of a valid U.S. passport is a serious matter. After making every attempt to recover the missing passport, please obtain a police report from the local police station closest to where the event took place or from any tourist police station. After obtaining a police report, you will need to get a certificate of loss/stolen from the Lao Immigration Department in Vientiane which can take one-two working days. The Lao Immigration Department is located on Saylom Road, tel: 856-21-212-520.
To replace a passport, you must apply in person at the U.S. Embassy during regular office hours. The followings are required:
- Make an appointment here
- All available proof of identity such as: Birth Certificate, photo ID, photocopy of the missing passport, or an expired U.S. passport
- Complete DS-11(PDF 100 KB) and DS-64 (PDF 50.8 KB) online but do not submit it electronically. You may obtain a blank copy of the form in our office on your appointment date
- A police report and a certificate of loss/stolen from Lao Immigration Department
- Passport Photo: One recent photo, 2×2 inches white background. Please click here for more information
- A fee of $135, payable in cash (USD or LAK). No credit card
If you have an urgent need for a replacement passport and can show proof of imminent travel, we may be able to issue you an ” emergency passport” while you wait or within 24 hours. Please note that an emergency passport has a limited validity period of up to one year and may be replaced (free of charge) with a full validity passport with that time.
IMPORTANT NOTE: After obtaining the replacement passport, you must present it with the police report and a certificate of loss/stolen from Lao Immigration to the Lao Consular Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs where an exit visa will be issued. Departure from Laos will most likely be denied without an exit visa.